1. “7 Chinese Brothers” movie. O.M.G. I love Jason Schwartzman. I loved him in this independent film. He played the role of a boozing slacker. He actually made the character endearing. The movie doesn’t really have a lot of context and the characters aren’t really well developed BUT it just had “something” that I loved about it. I can’t quite put my finger on it. I think I just like a good underdog story. Also, the convos he has with his dog cracked me up!
2. Kindle Unlimited. I’ve been really into Kindle reading lately. Plus, I signed up for Kindle Unlimited through Amazon Prime and can read a ton of titles for free for one month. I am not a huge fan of electronic books, but it is convenient.
3. Catnip. I grow my own catnip and I use it in tea and, of course, as a cat treat. If you plant it (or anything from the mint family) in a garden, give it plenty of space because it can get pretty invasive. I have mine in a large pot. I pick the fragrant leaves and dry them in my basement on a screen for a couple of weeks. I then grind them in my mortar and pestle for tea and for the cats. For humans drinking catnip in tea has a very calming effect. I blend it with other mints because it does tend to taste like weeds! You can feed catnip to your cats for a calming effect or they can sniff it to cause excitement. You can’t beat fresh catnip!
4. Kokeshi Dolls. I inherited a cute desk lamp from my great aunt who was a missionary. It is from Japan and I did a little research on it this week. The base is a very common tourist trinket called a Kokeshi doll. “Kokeshi, are Japanese dolls, originally from northern Japan. They are handmade from wood, have a simple trunk and an enlarged head with a few thin, painted lines to define the face. The body has a floral design painted in red, black, and sometimes yellow, and covered with a layer of wax. One characteristic of kokeshi dolls is their lack of arms or legs (wikipedia)”. Mine has a round wooden head and plump body and is wearing a delicately painted kimono. She sits on my desk at work.
5. Balance Bars (Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough). I like these because they have 15 grams of protein and I can keep them in my desk drawer. They make a nice meal replacement and go good with a cup of coffee.