1. Timers. I use timers because I have a problem staying on task and I usually have about a bajillion things to do. Adulting is hard. Timers make it better. I usually use the timer on my microwave when I am cleaning. I set it for 20 minutes and after 20 minutes I give myself a 10 minute break where I read or write this blog (literally doing this right now as I do dishes) or pin on Pinterest or something. I set a timer for 15 minutes and read. I love to read, but it is sometimes it’s so damn hard to just sit down and do it. I also use timers when I meditate and during my “morning time” (see #4).
2. “Big Magic” by Elizabeth Gilbert. This book changed some of my long held perceptions on creativity. It is an amazing read. It really helped me get a grip on my writing goals. I love books that do that. Here is a cool quote: “But to yell at your creativity, saying, “You must earn money for me!” is sort of like yelling at a cat; it has no idea what you’re talking about, and all you are doing is scaring it away, because you are making really loud noises and your face looks weird when you do that.”
3. Moose Tracks Ice Cream. Um. Dude. It is vanilla ice cream swirled with chocolate and mini peanut butter cups. I’m lactose intolerant, but I put my digestive life on the line for this stuff.
4. My “morning time”. I got this idea from Julia Cameron’s book, “The Right to Write” (seriously check it out). Every morning I get up about a half an hour early. I feed Stella, my chunky cat. I put Bella on her leash and let her outside (my panther cat who must stay on a leash after a pellet gun incident last summer). I make a cup of coffee in my kerug—seriously, these machines are amazing. I write or I read for at least 15 minutes. Every morning I greet the day with my favorite things cats, coffee, and creativity. In that order. Life is good.
5. Pineapple slicer. I just ordered one from amazon and I cannot wait for it to get here. I love fresh pineapple and I have always wondered how to chop one up. Now, I am going to. Plus you can make cool drink containers and even flower vases out of the shell. Ya!